2009-01-23

Times When You Don't Want to Make Dinner

This is my miniature slow cooker, a wedding gift from Trav's friends, Rob & Leah. As time went by, I've been making meals in this house for about one month and I've been cooking ALMOST everyday! The time finally comes. I'm getting tired of keeping every meal different and novel (to Trav). I decided to repeat things from now on without any guilt, haha! 

I miss Ashley's crock-pot; a ideal size holds about 4 servings and makes real meals. My tiny one barely makes 2 servings and no soup allowed. What's cooking in the pot? I put chopped onions on the bottom, topped with two chicken thighs, potato chunks, and finished with half a jar of Patak's tikka masala curry sauce. This kind of indian curry features scents of citrus, tomato, and cilantro, not spicy at all. I got it from a nearby grocery store and you might be able to find it easily as well. I've also tried another onion-chicken crock-pot recipe which Trav loves much (Kath loves it too). It begins with chopped onions on the bottom and chicken on the top. Chicken with bones and skins is the best for slow cooking. I don't even bother to put additional oil in. The sauce going with it calls for Hoisin sauce, Chiashu sauce, honey, soy sauce, sugar, a pinch of Chinese five spices powder, orange juice, garlic, and ginger. If you would like to substitute rice cooking wine for orange juice, go for it. I don't really use measurements that much so I only can share the proportion roughly: Hoisin to Chiashu is about 1:1 (Chiashu is usually sweeter than Hoisin), honey could weigh half of Chiashu, soy sauce is just a splash, and believe me, a tiny pinch of five spices powder is all you need. Serve the chicken with streamed rice.

I'm actually looking for more easy and simple slow cooking recipes, especially non-soup kind, so I can use the most out of my tiny cooker. Does anyone have his/her fav slow cooker recipes?  
  
p.s. Yeah, I don't know how to edit my pic on blogger yet, any thought?

No comments: