2009-05-08

Anything Wrong with Foreign People?

This sunny yet windy afternoon, on my way home from Provo library, I was passing through three teenaged boys practicing their skateboarding skills. One of them was on the phone, conversing with tons of swearing words. One of them caught a perfect timing-when I was walking by his shoulder, just about two inches away- and muttered, " I hate foreign people."

That was actually the first time of my presence in the States to hear such an obvious, unreserved hatred and I was stunned without either showing my emotions or changing my walking pace. Now as I think about it, I'm amazed that this experience donesn't happen in BG, Ohio, a small college town, but in here, Provo, with a far more variety of races and ethnicities populated. I can't help but wonder what kind of experience or education the boy has received to help shape this kind of revulsion and disrespect for so-called "foreign people."

I was mad right after hearing the comment and snapped back in my mind by thinking *beep* (It's just rated-PG, but I feel bad to show it...) Then I feel bad for them. Life without Gospel is probably like that without light. It's really hard to keep things in right perspectives without the guidance of God. Would they ever know they're supposed to love everyone just like what Jesus does? The scriptures say pray for your enemies so I've decided to pray for their welfare tonight.

4 comments:

Megan Gery said...

so good of you to have such a good perspective about it. i probably would have had a snappy comment for the brat, but you're better than I am. :)

Jenny's LoVe BloG said...

When I was in Oxford, UK, I heard kids say "Chinese Pigs" towards me and my friends.

Well, there were just teenagers. They probably couldn't figure out why there were so many "Foreigners".

If one day we hear from adults, that will really become a issue.

superegobear said...

To Megan: No no, I'm not better than you're; I guess I just responded it kind of slowly.
To Jenny: Sadly, this teenagers would finally grow up and hopefully by the time they're matured, they won't even have the thought. Let's hope for the best.

Unknown said...

很同意你的看法....辛苦囉 (抱)