2009-04-06

the 179th LDS general conference

I've actually forgotten most of the details by now (but I know I will revive my memory of it by reading the next Ensign magazine...).

I think the entire theme is about how to press on with hope and faith (in this tumultuous time). I'm in general bad with names so I can't remember who has spoken which talk. But I almost love every single one of them. I love the talk on service-we earn our lives by losing it in serving others. The practical advise on setting specific goals on attending temple ordinances and (participate in all of kinds you're able to). If I can go back to Taiwan this summer, I would explain the meanings and the significance of temple ordinances to my family and hopefully gain the permission to do the ordinances for my ancestors. Furthermore, I would love to do some of the ordinances in Taiwan Taipei temple since it's located in my homeland after all.  

It's so valuable to learn about how our pioneers persevered and pressed forward in their perilous journeys. It's so true that we are dealing with a bad economic climate yet we've endowed with the freedom to choose our religion. We probably won't be persecuted and forced to abandon our homeland and all we've established due to our religious belief. I'm truly grateful for this blessing. After the first session on Sunday, we were eating a fine Sunday supper including salad, baked potatoes, and beef roast with veggies. That was a happy family get-together tinted with a slight shadow of sorrow. The words of our beloved prophet still echoed in our mind, recounting the story of a single mom loosing her children along the way of a long journey. She needed to make graves for her children by digging the ground with a spoon, which was the only tool she had on hand. After all of these trials and unbearable sorrow, she got up the pulpit and bore a strong testimony that she knew how much God loved her and she knew she would meet her family again if she endured till the end. How Lucky was I that I was eating a great Sunday dinner made by my mother-in-law. I'm so blessed and taken care of by the Lord's mercy. 

I don't know how long my journey on earth would last yet I believe the reward is yet to come. I'm not perfect and far away from it. But, I still have hope through the savior's infinite power of his atonement. I hope I would never turn my back on Him and follow Him till the end. It's hard and definitely not easy yet I hope I will remember every testimony I've born when the hard time hits and have peace with me. I know that is the thing I've always hoped for since youth. I know that I wouldn't be forsaken if I follow Him. I will press on because of Him love.
 

3 comments:

The Bozemans said...

Beautifully written, Yu-ting! I loved conference as well. I don't know why, but for some reason this conference was really really awesome to me. The story about that lady that had to bury her children made me cry! I don't think I am strong enough to go through that myself! Thanks for your insights and we love you guys!

superegobear said...

I think I did have tears in my eyes while hearing the story too. I feel so blessed that Trav is with me and my families are doing well. What could be a better blessing than this!!

Jess said...

What a blessing you are to me... Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Conference. you are an amazing example.