2009-02-12

about mixed children

I was reading an article in Vogue (on the October 2008 issue) on the differentiations in a cross-cultural, racial marriage. The author, Christina Thompson, a white New Englander married to a Polynesian New Zealander, expressed her expectations for her children in the following message:
"...But what I truly hoped for, what I still hope for, is that they will end up someplace comparatively neutral. I like to think they might ultimately have social identifies as fluid-seeming as the way they look, with their black eyes and brown hair and varying shades of skin. Ethnically indeterminate, difficult to place, they are, in my fondest dream of their imaginary future, unconstrained by membership in any social class." (Italics added)
I just think this message is cool:) If I have kids in the future, it would be what I hope for.


No comments: