2009-02-12

Yakisoba


















I found this bag of yakisoba at the corner of our freezer and it looked "suspicious." Why? Cuz I couldn't recall when I got this at all. I guess either Trav got this or we got it together during one of the many trips to different oriental stores. Yet I am sure it happened way before we got married! Um...in other words, I don't know how old this pack is.
                                                       
 Well, I guess I feel courageous today so I risk myself to partake it regardless of its suspicious expiration date. The ready-to-make yakisoba package contains 3 individually-packed frozen cooked noodles and three packages of seasonings. In order to make my lunch more nutritious, I add a couple of ingredients, such as shredded onions, carrots, cabbages, one clove of garlic (smashed), one strip of bacon (uncured), one egg, and some chopped green onions. See the pic. These ingredients mixing with one package of frozen noodles makes about one-two servings. (If you eat as much as I do, then it only makes up for one serving) Basically, you can add whatever you want to the noodles. I make a thin egg skin by pan-frying the mixture of one egg, some water, a pinch of salt & pepper, and a pinch of corn starch. Corn starch makes the egg more stretchable and less fragile. Cut the egg skin into strips after it's cooled down. Saute all of the ingredients (expect for noodles) first, then add water and seasonings, and then add the noodles. I add some additional yakisoba sauce into the noodles. You can also buy yakisoba sauce in the oriental store. We always have some in the fridge since Trav makes okonomiyaki pretty often and we discovered that we can totally substitute yakisoba sauce for okonomiyaki sauce.      

2 comments:

The Bozemans said...

Ooh, wow. That sounds DELICIOUS! My Dad makes Yaki Soba too. Is is the best, and since it was in the freezer, I'm sure it's okay! You're awesome!

superegobear said...

Haha, thanks Jill! I wonder if I can have your Dad's famous yakisoba recipe! I LOVE exchange recipes:) We should have dinner party sometime!