2009-02-11

Chinese-style Tomato Beef Noodle Soup

I had a rough day yesterday, so did Trav. We went up to the USCIS office in Salt Lake City and met with some officer to go over our questions about the application. I'm still waiting for my birth certificate sent from Taiwan while Trav needs to deal with his dad's & his Tax info. Ahhh...How dreadful it is! If I miss the deadline to submit all of these required documents, my application might be denied and we need to start it over. Consequentially, I won't be able to visit Taiwan in anytime soon. I haven't been home for almost two years and I really want to go back to visit. I need prayers, the more the merrier:(
Trav loves this noodle soup very much and I've been making it several times since we started dating. It's funny that I've never made this dish before I met him so it's packed with our mutual memories, I guess. I'm suprised that he likes the anise flavor. Here is how to make the soup base (about 5-6 servings):
1. Saute fresh ginger (chopped and lightly-smashed), roughly-chopped onion, and roughly-chopped green onion till they're aromatic. 
2. Add beef chunks (about 0.9 to 1 lb), which has been boiled with hot water thus removed some bloody water.
3. Add about 2 table-spoon sugar and 1 big table-spoon chinese chili bean paste, saute till aromatic
4. Add fresh tomato chunks (about one big tomato), saute till soften. Adding tomato this time makes the result somehow thicker and starchier. Good stuff!
5. Add water till cover all of the ingredients.
6. Add three star anises and about 1 cup of soy sauce 
7. Ok, then you can add some carrots and Daikon radishes. Daikon radish is usually pricey so I've been substituting regular green cabbage for it. Add some more water till cover all of the ingredients.
8. Simmer the pot for at least two hours. Cook some noodles to serve with the soup.
Well, I usually cook it without recipe so it's hard for me to give you the measurement. Just trust your taste bud when it comes to adjusting the seasonings and flavor. It's better to use beef with tendon parts. I don't like to use the regular beef stew parts; it's just not as good as the fattier or beef tendon parts. This dish is also better on the next day! Garnish with fine-chopped green onion and cilantro. 

9 comments:

Jenny's LoVe BloG said...

It looks so yummy! Your husband is sooooo lucky~

Jenny's LoVe BloG said...

Good luck with your green card!

It seems like we have the same green card application procedures.

I applied for it from a student visa, too.

If you need any help, you can ask my husband. He has gone through all of this and he is very good at it.

Miriam Latour said...

It looks delicious! I love that you are a "food person" too. Isn't it fun to take photos of food for a blog? Hooray!

Good luck with your applications and all.

Amy Blakely said...

Hey Yu-Ting. Don't know if you remember me from BG at all. Anyways, I have now stumbled across your blog and I must say I'm loving all the food and recipes! Specially that creamed soup... I have split peas froma primary activity that I just don't know what to do with. Yay!
And so cool you're in Provo. I'm up in Logan!
Congrats on your wedding. So, any plans for a little one soon, or holding off?
Anyways this is long so I'll leave you be.
--Amy

Jess said...

I decided that you can come give me cooking lessons. You make so many yummy and creative things (at least for our house... we usually eat tacos, pizza, pasta, chicken... boring!) Also good luck with all your paper work and applications! No fun!

superegobear said...

Dear Miriam! I am totally a food person just like what you said! And I was so excited when I found your blog because you're a food nut too! We need to exchange some recipes, hehe. I hope your school is not insanely busy now so that you can post more yummy food on your blog! Love

superegobear said...

I am willing to go to your house and look for your family, jess! But you guys are so busy, haha. I wish I had a car and could drive:(

Megan Gery said...

Yu-Ting! Hey there! I'm glad you found me! Thanks, I'm glad you like my blog. It'll be fun to keep tabs on each other this way. Your blog looks really good, I'll have to give some of those recipes a try. How are you liking Provo?

Amy Blakely said...

Yu-ting. I was actually supposed to give either the opening or closing prayer at your baptism and then I missed my ride completely.
I was baptised Nov. 5, 2005. As for having the Sisters they taught me my new member lessons and were there for my baptism becuase my Elders got moved just 3 days before. I had Elder Ross Yancey and Elder Stephan Johnson. Which is the reasoning behind why when we get pregnant agian (we ended up deciding to wait) if we have a little boy I want to name him Stephan Ross. Ben isn't quite as sure as me, but he'll get over it.
As for your lack of car. I have total sympathy for that. We don't have on either, but CVTD runs a lot smarter than UTA becuase the buses all meet at the transit center every half hour, meaning you can get anywhere you need to in Logan in an hour or less AND the buses up here are free. Gotta love free buses.
As for getting to know each other trough blogging. I am totally open to that. I miss home so any little peices of home that I can latch onto I will take!
Lastly I have no reservations about agreeing to what you say about Emmy. She is WONDERFUL. I adore her so much... I can't wait 'till we get her home for good and we can go through the temple and FINALLY be sealed together as a family forever (shooting for March or April, and I'll shamelessly say I'll take all the prayers I can get to help us get there).
Anyways I've rambled forever now I htink so.
-- Amy M.