2009-03-11

Coconut & Shrimp Soup

After being sick & in-bed for a bit over one week, I'm finally feeling that the renewal of my body is taking place (Thus my blog entries are renewed as well). Although I haven't been feeling up to cooking, dinner still needs to be served daily. This soup is one of Trav's Thai-restaurant favorites! I modified the recipe of Emeril's Shrimp Coconut Soup with Ginger and Lemongrass on Foodnetwork and made this dish. My modified version is as follows:
Coconut soup (about 2 to 3 servings; Trav & I had two bowls each last night. If you're a big eater like us, this recipe only serves two, haha!)
The soup base:
*One can of chicken broth (or seafood/fish broth) and one can of water (use the very same chicken broth's can as measurement)
*Half a can of coconut milk
*One stalk of fresh lemongrass (at least 3-inch long), chopped
*A chunk of fresh ginger (about the size of a thumb), smashed (don't bother to chop it)
*Any sort of dried or fresh chiles (I just put in one dried red chili pepper)
*one regular size of lime, juiced (half to the cooking process and half for garnish)
*Two tablespoons of fish sauce (IMPORTANT! Please don't omit it and find a good quality bottle.)
(I omitted the Kaffir lime leaves in the original recipe; well, it did no harm to the outcome though.)
Add all of the above ingredients together and simmer it for about 20 minutes. 
The variations:
What's inside of the soup? I put tofu, shrimps, onions, carrots, mushrooms, and some thin-sliced tomatoes for garnish. Sprinkle some chopped cilantro on top. Serve with steamed rice if you wish.  
 

4 comments:

Megan Gery said...

looks yummy, and you're a better wife than i am. when i'm sick or frazzled i just throw on some hamburger helper! sheesh!

superegobear said...

Ah ha, speaking of hamburger helper, I just got one yesterday so I might use it very soon, hehe.

The Bozemans said...

Mmmm, sounds good! I'm not a huge fan of coconut, but that is so cool that you made an Emeril recipe! That is awesome. Love ya!

superegobear said...

YEAH, I like Emeril's recipe! When I used to have cable to watch, I watched his show quite often. I wish foodnetwork could put up the steaming video thing for their popular shows...well, it might never happen.