2009-03-17

Japanese-style Deviled Eggs

It was fun that Jill & Dave came over to our house for dinner last night! They were so nice that they brought a loaf of fresh bread over as well. In order to honor the St. Patrick's Day, we watched the movie Darby O'Gill and the Little People (and I finally had a glimpse on the mysterious leprechauns). I guess Trav still keeps his leprechaun message on his cell answering machine. Jill & Dave are indeed a very nice couple and full of fun and we're very grateful to have them as our neighbors. 
These deviled eggs are part of our dinner last night. I modified Sandra Lee's recipe and gave it a Japanese twist! Well, I didn't do this on purpose; I just didn't have "right" ingredients on hand. Here is my version of Sandra Lee's deviled eggs:
-6 boiled eggs
-about 2 tablespoons mayonnaise -> I used Japanese mayonnaise instead; according to my own experience, you might need to use a bit more than 2 tablespoons.
-about 1 teaspoon yellow mustard -> I replaced yellow mustard with Japanese wasabi. Again, you might want to use a little bit more than 1 teaspoon. You can also use Dejon mustard. 
-about 1 teaspoon sweet relish -> I used Japanese pickled ginger instead. Have you seen the pink ginger slices to go along with your sushi? Bingo! That's what I am talking about. 
-salt, pepper, and paprika for dusting. 
(I also added a few drops of rice vinegar to increase the acid flavor of the egg yolk mixture.)
So just boil your eggs, remove the yolks from the writes, and mix all of the ingredients with the yolks. Chill the mixture in the fridge for a while and then fill the whites with the yolk mixture. Just use the old ziplock bag's trick-cut a corner of a ziplock bag to pipe the whites. Chill the eggs in the fridge till completely cool. Garnish with paprika and choice of herbs.   

2 comments:

The Bozemans said...

TO EVERYONE READING THIS BLOG: Yu-Ting's cooking tastes even BETTER than the pictures look! These deviled eggs were the best I've ever had in my lifeband the dinner was delicious! We even had ice cream with a blackberry syrup that Yu-Ting made for dessert! It was so delicious! Thanks again for a wonderful evening!

superegobear said...

Haha, I am glad that you liked my food!! Thanks for coming over Jill, It was so fun to hang out with you guys!! By the way, I should give you the address of the oriental store we were talking about during the dinner: First Oriental Market
286 N State St
Orem, UT
(801) 221-5949
I hope you'll find tons of yummy food there!